These cookies disappear like magic in my house. There is nothing my husband Andre loves more than a warm chocolate chip cookie, besides college football and maybe me! I love baking these cookies anytime of the year, and needing only a few ingredients that most of us have on hand, they are a snap to make.
What makes these cookies different from the rest, are a few tried and true special tricks to ensure the perfect balance of sugary, chewy goodness. One of those tricks is using melted butter. Melting the butter ensures that the cookies will be chewy and dense every time.
Another secret is the sugar. I like to use equal parts of white and brown sugar, which provides a good balance of flavor and chewiness.
You will also notice I use vanilla extract AND vanilla bean paste. This is purely a personal preference on my part since I’m a vanilla fanatic. I love the extra pop of flavor the vanilla bean paste adds. Feel free to use just the extract if that is all you have.
Once you have the cookies made, it’s time to scoop. The size of your ice cream scoop (see above) will determine the bake time and amount of cookies you get from this batch. For this recipe I used a small ice cream scoop (1 1/2 wide by 1 inch deep), and I got about 38 cookies.
This recipe freezes beautifully, so feel free to make extra! Sometimes I just like to make up a batch of the dough to freeze ahead. To do that, just scoop out the balls of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in freezer for about 30-45 minutes. After the all of cookie dough balls are nice and frozen, grab them and put them in a gallon size freezer bag to make for later. The kids and hubby can then just make themselves fresh baked homemade cookies whenever their little hearts desire!
I hope you all enjoy them as much as they do.
How to Make
1 cup melted unsalted butter ( 2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 large eggs ( room temp)
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a large bowl using a whisk or hand mixer ( I use a hand mixer) mix the melted butter brown sugar and granulated sugar until fully combined. Takes about 2-3 minutes with hand mixer in medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste, mix until smooth.
- In another bowl add the four salt and baking soda. Whisk until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until a soft dough forms
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet( placing balls of dough far enough apart to allow for spreading) and bake for 10-12 minutes*
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking tray for a minute or two and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week, if they last that long!
*Note- I like to slightly underbake my cookies and let them finish cooking on the baking tray for that 1-2 minutes they are cooling on the tray. Underbaking them slightly also helps to ensure a chewier cookie.