Ok, so let’s be honest, meatloaf isn’t one of the most sexy or trendsetting recipes, but it is one of my most favorite comfort meals. I think that’s true for most of us, which is why it remains such a classic even today.
There are so many different ways to jazz up a meatloaf. BBQ sauce, bacon, cheese, and veggies are just some of the things we have all tried to change it up a bit.
While I’m definitely one of those people who love trying new ways to make an old classic new, today I figured we would stick to the classic. This recipe is my tried and true way to make a good, old fashioned meatloaf that my family loves.
Now, don’t confuse tried and true with boring and bland! I still add a few surprise ingredients to enhance the natural flavor of the beef. The one thing I can’t go without when making my meatloaf is a packet of brown gravy mix. This might sound weird but, trust me, it works! It adds so much richness and depth to the flavor to the meat. You will notice the difference after one bite!
The other key ingredient to add is spicy brown mustard. I find that it adds a small zing of brightness that really enhances the overall taste of the meatloaf.
Those two surprise ingredients are critical to creating the perfect meatloaf. However, the ground beef you use is just as important as the ingredients you add to it. I like to use a nice 80/20 blend for the ground beef because it has good balance of fat and protein. You need a little fat to help keep the meatloaf moist and juicy, but not so much to where the pan is swimming in grease.
Trust me, if you take my advice and try those three simple tips, your taste buds and your family will thank you. While most kids might groan at the thought of having meatloaf for dinner, mine actually really enjoy it! And while leftovers normally can be a drag to have, we all look forward to having leftover meatloaf.
Especially when that means meatloaf sandwiches!!! Have you ever tried a cold slice of meatloaf sandwiched between your favorite type of bread with a schmear of mayo, a thick slice of tomato, and a pinch of salt? It’s heaven!!
So if you are looking for a great go-to recipe that will never disappoint in the flavor department, give this one a whirl! You will love it!
How to Make
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 C Panko bread crumbs
1/2 C milk
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs steak sauce ( sauce as A1)
1/4 C ketchup
2 Tbs spicy brown mustard
2 Tbs dried parsley
2 Tbs dried chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 packet brown gravy mix
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs and milk together. Add the eggs and mix well. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl add remaining ingredients and the bread crumb mixture. Using a spoon or your hands, mix well to incorporate all the ingredients. Try not to overmix .
4. Place the meatloaf mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish, and form it into a loaf shape. (If you find the mixture sticking to your hands, just dampen your hands lightly with water and that should help.)
5. Place baking dish in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes. After 60 minutes, check the center of the meatloaf. If it is still pink, put it back in oven for about 10 more minutes.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggie, or your favorite side for a satisfying and complete meal!